Garber, Frank Elam
Birth Date/Place: May 29, 1877, Newcombville, N.S.,
Death Date/Place: June 3, 1964, Bridgewater, N.S.
"Disastrous Blaze Destroys Bridgewater Business Block," Bridgewater Bulletin (24 September 1952), p. 1.
Frank Garber was a well-known Bridgewater-based photographer. He learned about photography from a neighbour, Henry West, who had a darkroom and taught Garber how to develop tin types and later prints on glass.
Garber opened his photography shop at 559 King St., Bridgewater in 1904. Tragically the building was destroyed by fire on September 24, 1952. The Bridgewater Bulletin reported: "..widely known as an excellent photographer, Frank E. Garber lost all his photographs, negatives and equipment in the fire. His picutres were of great historic and personal interest to the community, recording as they did, everything of interest during the past fitty years. Some of these were real treasures and of course irreplaceable." The loss was devastating to Garber and, although he relocated the business to his home at 255 King Street, his work was more limited.
Garber was active in the community and was a member of the Curling Club, St. Paul's Lutheran Church and the Canadian Order of Foresters.
The DesBrisay Museum (Bridgewater, NS) hosted an exhibit dedicated to the work of Frank Garber in March, 2013.
One of Garber's panoramic images is on display at the Chester Municipal Heritage Society Maple Cottage research site.